Mich. Lottery Winner Taken Off Food Stamps Rolls

Thursday, 08 Mar 2012 04:12 PM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

A Michigan lawmaker says news of a lump-sum lottery winner using food stamps should inspire his colleagues to finally pass a law to end such abuse.

A 24-year-old Detroit-area woman, Amanda Clayton, was taken off the assistance rolls after admitting to a TV station that she still was in the program, despite a $700,000 lump-sum lottery windfall last fall. She told WDIV this week she believed "it was OK" because she has bills and no job.

Officials say it was Clayton's responsibility to report her new income.

Last year an $850,000 lump-sum winner was allowed to keep his food stamp card. Lawmakers vowed to require more communication between the lottery and the welfare agency, but legislation still is pending.

Republican Rep. Dave Agema says an "entitlement attitude" must end.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Military Times: Mere 15% of Troops Approve of Obama

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 11:29 AM

President Obama's approval rating tanked to 15 percent this year among active-duty members of the armed services, reflec . . .

Report: Vermont's Health Plan Disaster Blamed on Gruber

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 10:54 AM

Vermont’s proposed single-payer healthcare insurance system fell apart because the financial projections from disgraced  . . .

Sony's Lawyer: 'The Interview Will Be Distributed'

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 09:06 AM

Sony Pictures is planning to release the controversial movie "The Interview" at some stage, the company’s lawyer says. . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved