NY Times: Journalists Abused, Threatened in Libya

Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 03:56 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

NEW YORK (AP) — Libyan soldiers physically abused a team of New York Times journalists and threatened to kill them during the six days they were held in captivity, the newspaper said Tuesday.

The journalists said they were captured when their driver mistakenly drove into a checkpoint manned by Libyan forces in eastern Libya on March 15. Their driver is still missing.

"I heard in Arabic, 'Shoot them," the newspaper quoted reporter Anthony Shadid as saying. "And we all thought it was over."

Soldiers tied up the journalists with wire, an electrical cord, a scarf and shoelaces, and hit them repeatedly with fists and rifle butts.

Photographer Lynsey Addario says she was punched in the face and groped. One soldier stroked her head and told her she was going to die.

"He was caressing my head in this sick way, this tender way, saying: 'You're going to die tonight. You're going to die tonight,' " the newspaper quoted Addario as saying.

The Times said soldiers threatened to decapitate photographer Tyler Hicks. Hicks said they temporarily put handcuffs on Shadid so tightly that he lost feeling in his hands.

The Libyan forces flew Addario, Shadid, Hicks and videographer Stephen Farrell to Tripoli on Thursday.

The Libyan government initially demanded that a U.S. diplomat come to Tripoli to retrieve them, but the U.S. government refused because it had already closed its embassy.

The Libyans allowed the Turkish Embassy to act as an intermediary, the newspaper said. They were released on Monday and driven to Tunisia.

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, an advocacy group, 13 journalists are either missing or in government custody. The missing include four from Al-Jazeera. Six Libyan journalists also are unaccounted for, the group said.

The Committee to Project Journalists says it has confirmed more than 50 attacks or attempts to silence the press since Libya's unrest began in February. The toll includes two deaths, more than 33 detentions, five assaults, two attacks on news facilities and the jamming of at least two satellite news transmissions.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Nanny State: Maybe This Year More Gun Laws Will Cure Chicago Ills

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 14:15 PM

Despite Chicago having some of the toughest gun control laws in the county, it's also home to some of the most frequent  . . .

Bill Clinton: Enough of the Ebola 'Blame Game'

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 14:13 PM

President Bill Clinton has called for lawmakers and other political finger-pointers to tone down their rhetoric over the . . .

Report: White House Expects 'Surge' of Immigrants

Sunday, 19 Oct 2014 23:36 PM

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has published a draft solicitation for immigrant identification cards that . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved