Heroin recovered at Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman's New York City apartment after he was found there dead with a syringe in his arm has tested negative for the powerful additive fentanyl.
A police official unauthorized to talk about the evidence and insisting on anonymity said Tuesday samples taken from Hoffman's apartment didn't contain the potent synthetic morphine, which has been linked to 22 suspected overdose deaths in western Pennsylvania.
Police say bank records show the "Capote" star made six transactions for $1,200 inside a supermarket near his Manhattan home the day before his death.
The 46-year-old actor was found dead in the bathroom of his apartment Sunday.
The police official says Hoffman was found with plastic envelopes of heroin and it's suspected he overdosed.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.