The retired Massachusetts police officer who leaked bloody pictures of accused bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev the night he was arrested will run in next year's Boston Marathon.
An essay submitted by former State Police Sgt. Sean Murphy for an invitational slot reserved for those affected by the April attacks was accepted on Wednesday by the Boston Athletic Association, local station WBZ-TV reports
Murphy, 48, released photos of Tsarnaev, 20, in July to counter a Rolling Stone cover photo
of the suspect that had been criticized for depicting him in a glamorous light.
In the released photos, a bloodied Tsarnaev was shown
emerging from a boat in which he had been hiding just before he was arrested after a huge manhunt that followed the bombings.
Three people died in the blasts, and more than 260 were injured.
Tsarnaev is facing numerous federal charges in the attacks. Attorney General Eric Holder is expected to decide by the end of January whether to seek the death penalty in the case.
Authorities later suspended Murphy
with pay for one day before transferring him from his job as a tactical photographer at state police headquarters to an overnight patrol shift in a rural community, news reports said.
State police officials denied any disciplinary action was taken against Murphy for the leak.
Murphy, who retired from the police force last month, told WBZ on Wednesday that he has received support from all around the world for leaking the Tsarnaev photos.
"There must be a hundred letters and cards," he said. "My life has changed ever since, for better or worse."
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.