Calif. Man Ordered Freed after 21 Years in Prison

Saturday, 26 Mar 2011 09:22 PM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A San Francisco man whose murder conviction was overturned has been ordered released from prison after more than 20 years behind bars.

A judge ruled Friday that 43-year-old Maurice Caldwell be set free after prosecutors who wanted to retry him discovered evidence in the case had been destroyed.

San Francisco Superior Court Judge Charles Haines says that evidence was needed to assure Caldwell a fair trial.

Caldwell had spent 21 years behind bars in the fatal 1990 shooting of Judy Acosta when Haines overturned his conviction last year. Haines said Caldwell hadn't received an effective defense.

Acosta was allegedly shot over a drug deal gone bad at a San Francisco public housing project.

Acosta's cousin, Raelyn Acosta, tells the San Francisco Chronicle that the family still believes Caldwell is guilty.

___

Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Report: Hollywood's Special Ops Movies Help Train Terrorists

Thursday, 18 Dec 2014 10:13 AM

The military's special operations community believe that their hostage rescue and terrorist targeting missions are being . . .

Politicians Hit Twitter to Urge Sony to Release 'The Interview'

Thursday, 18 Dec 2014 09:44 AM

Politicians from both sides of the aisle are lighting up Twitter about Sony’s decision to cancel its controversial movie . . .

Newt Gingrich: Sony Hack Is America's First Cyberwar Defeat

Wednesday, 17 Dec 2014 22:43 PM

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich says Sony Pictures' decision to cancel the release of the movie "The Interview" in th . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved