INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Donald has dumped himself from the Indianapolis 500.
Donald Trump said Thursday that he will not be driving the pace car at the May 29 race, after all. He says "he may be announcing shortly his intention" to run for the Republican nomination for president and therefore it would be "inappropriate" to drive the pace car.
He also it would be impossible to fulfill the required practice sessions with his busy schedule.
Race organizers selected real estate mogul as the celebrity pace car driver a month ago. Since then, he created a stir by questioning whether President Obama was born outside the United States and whether he was qualified to attend the Ivy League schools he did.
Jeff Belskus, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president and chief executive officer, says Trump's replacement will be announced later this month.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.