An Army investigation into whether Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl deserted his unit, leading to his five-year capture by the Taliban and a rescue by U.S. forces last May, has been extended for at least three more weeks, The Hill reported
While the probe was supposed to be completed by Friday, Maj. Gen. Kenneth Dahl, who is investigating, will get more time to complete his work, according to Time Warner Cable News.
"It doesn't surprise me, [the Army's] got a lot of work to do," Bergdahl's civilian attorney, Eugene Fidell, told The Hill, saying that he only learned about the news from media accounts.
His client was questioned two weeks ago about his conduct and whether he walked away from his unit in Afghanistan in 2009, sending U.S. troops on the hunt to find him. He was released to U.S. forces in May under a controversial swap for five Taliban prisoners who had been held at Guantanamo Bay.
Bergdahl, who has been on desk duty since July, was interviewed as a part of the Army's administrative investigation at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.
"He's in a holding pattern," Fidell told The Washington Post
of Bergdahl's future, noting that he had been cooperative in the investigation. "Obviously, nothing much is going to happen until this situation gets resolved."
Bergdahl could be charged criminally for desertion or going absent from his unit without leave. Such behavior violates the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Several soldiers who served with Bergdahl have said that he deserted, CNN reported
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.