New York Times Sends E-Mail Offering 50% Discount in Error

Wednesday, 28 Dec 2011 04:39 PM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

New York Times Co. said it erroneously sent an e-mail to subscribers and potential customers offering a 50 percent discount, after earlier describing the note as having been sent by someone else.

The message “should have been sent to a very small number of subscribers, but instead was sent to a vast distribution list made up of people who had previously provided their e-mail address to the New York Times,” Eileen Murphy, a company spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.

Earlier today, Times Co. said on its Twitter page that the e-mail wasn’t from the company. The e-mail is addressed to “Home Delivery Subscriber” and includes a phone number and an offer code. The note, meant for subscribers of the company’s namesake newspaper that had recently requested to cancel home delivery, offers 50 percent off for 16 weeks.

Times Co. won’t extend the offer to all customers that received the e-mail, Murphy said.

Times Co. fell 1.2 percent to $7.67 at the close in New York. The shares have dropped 22 percent this year.


© Copyright 2014 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Players' Union: Ray Rice Wins Appeal of His Indefinite Suspension

Friday, 28 Nov 2014 15:36 PM

Former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice is eligible for reinstatement by the National Football League after winnin . . .

Legal Immigrants Being Blocked in Latest Obamacare Glitch

Friday, 28 Nov 2014 14:27 PM

Legal immigrants, eligible for Obamacare, are running into problems when they try to sign up for coverage on HealthCare. . . .

Cosby Said He Blocked 2005 Tabloid Story about Sex-Assault Accuser

Friday, 28 Nov 2014 12:42 PM

Comedian Bill Cosby struck a deal with the National Enquirer in 2005 to give the tabloid an exclusive interview about a  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved