Alaska Officials Warn of Deadly Shellfish

Friday, 10 Jun 2011 02:23 PM

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Public health officials warned Alaskans to avoid eating shellfish they harvest from the southeastern tip of the state after high concentrations of a poison than can kill humans was found.

Scientists monitoring algae blooms near Ketchikan discovered some of the world's highest-ever recorded levels of toxins that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning — a potentially fatal ailment that can paralyze vital organs.

The most poisonous shellfish discovered were baby mussels at a dock in Ketchikan with toxin levels of more than 30,000 micrograms per hundred grams of shellfish meat. This is well over the 80-microgram level considered toxic, the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services warned.

Those levels are so high that a single mussel could kill several people, scientists at the University of Alaska Southeast said Thursday.

In other types of shellfish, members of the multi-agency Alaska Harmful Algal Bloom monitoring program found toxin levels ranging from 1,100 to 5,000 micrograms per gram of shellfish meat, the department said.

State officials have posted warnings on the region's beaches, docks, stores and other public places, and police have issued warnings on marine radios, the department said.

Certain shellfish absorb paralytic poisoning toxins from algae. Symptoms of poisoning start with tingling and numbness in the mouth, and can spread through the body.

"If it gets to your lungs, it shuts them down," said Greg Wilkinson, a spokesman for the state health department.

The shellfish warning does not apply to commercially harvested products, which are tested for toxins by the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.

But people harvesting shellfish for their personal consumption do not have access to the testing systems, Wilkinson said.

Two people from Metlakatla, a Native village on Annette Island near Ketchikan, were hospitalized this week with apparent symptoms of paralytic shellfish poisoning, the department said. Last year, two people in Alaska died after exhibiting symptoms, Wilkinson said.

The high levels of toxins are linked to a proliferation of certain types of algae, Wilkinson said.


© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

500 Army Majors to Be Axed in Latest Budget Cuts

Friday, 01 Aug 2014 22:39 PM

Pink slips will start going out next week to about 500 Army majors – including some on duty in Afghanistan – in the late . . .

Arizona Inmate Was Injected 15 Times During Botched Execution

Friday, 01 Aug 2014 21:54 PM

During the nearly two hours it took for an Arizona death row inmate to die last week, executioners injected him with 15  . . .

Report: California Teachers Among Highest Paid

Friday, 01 Aug 2014 21:00 PM

Teachers in over half of California's schools are paid an average $84,489 a year, a new think tank survey shows.
 . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved