Rumors are swirling that sequester cuts could lead to the cancellation of the time-honored White House Easter Egg Roll scheduled for April 1, sparking reactions from a number of Republicans on Monday.
The administration sent invitations to politically-connected families last week, but a memo suggested the event could be cancelled over fiscal considerations.
Urgent: Obama or GOP: Who’s to Blame for Budget Crisis? Vote Now
"By using these tickets, guests are acknowledging that this event is subject to cancellation due to funding uncertainty surrounding the Executive Office of the President and other federal agencies," the White House said in the memo. "If cancelled, the event will not be re-scheduled. We will notify you if there are any modifications to this event."
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., expressed his outrage over the suggestion.
"Shameless! How else can you describe the threat to cancel White House Easter egg hunt? Maybe pathetic, demagogic? You try to find right words," he tweeted.
A White House official
who was not authorized to discuss the matter told the Washington Post that the event will probably still happen.
"Because we distribute tickets to the Easter Egg Roll far in advance, we alerted all ticket holders that this event is subject to cancellation due to funding uncertainty, including the possibility of a government shutdown," the official wrote in an e-mail. "However, we are currently proceeding as planned with the Easter Egg Roll."
If it goes off, this year's Easter egg roll will be the 135th. More than 35,000 are expected to attend, joining the first family for games, stories, and the traditional egg hunt, according to Whitehouse.gov.
The uproar over the possible cancellation of the Easter egg roll comes a few weeks after people expressed anger over the administration's cancellation of White House tours.
Editor's Note: The IRS’ Worst Nightmare — How to Pay Zero Taxes
As a result of the White House tour cancellations
, several people like Donald Trump and a few Fox News hosts have offered to donate money so the program can continue.
The White House
rejected the offers.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.