Tags: us | cuban | twitter

US Launched Secret Cuban Twitter to Feed Unrest in Communist Country: Report

Image: US Launched Secret Cuban Twitter to Feed Unrest in Communist Country: Report

Thursday, 03 Apr 2014 12:13 PM

By Morgan Chilson

The U.S. government devised a covert plan five years ago to start a Twitter-like messaging network in Cuba that would undercut the country's Communist government, The Associated Press reported.

The secret project, called "ZunZuneo" (slang for a Cuban hummingbird's tweet), launched in 2009 under the direction of Joe McSpedon, an employee of the U.S. Agency for International Development, the AP said.

USAID reportedly set up ZunZuneo using cellphone text messaging "to evade Cuba's strict control of information and its stranglehold restrictions over the Internet."

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

The site initially launched with what was designated as "non-controversial content" to build users, and planned to then start disseminating information to encourage "smart mobs," or quick-gathering masses that would "renegotiate the balance of power between the state and society," according to a USAID document.

At one point, more than 40,000 Cubans were using the site without realizing it was a U.S. government site. It is unclear if the project was legal under U.S. law, the news agency said, noting that the president must authorize covert actions. It ended suddenly in 2012.

A spokesperson for USAID told the AP all of its Cuban programs had been looked at by congressional investigators.

"In the implementation, has the government taken steps to be discreet in non-permissive environments? Of course," a representative said. "That's how you protect the practitioners and the public. In hostile environments, we often take steps to protect the partners we're working with on the ground. This is not unique to Cuba."

That explanation didn’t soothe Sen. Patrick Leahy, a Democrat from Vermont.

"There is the risk to young, unsuspecting Cuban cellphone users who had no idea this was a U.S. government-funded activity. There is the clandestine nature of the program that was not disclosed to the appropriations subcommittee with oversight responsibility," Leahy told the AP.

Reactions to the AP story printed by The Guardian showed mixed support for U.S. actions. One of the least divisive was posted by user JanHolm: "Well, at least no one seems to have been killed in this CIA operation!"

Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?

Related Stories:

© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

The 2016 'Book Race': GOP Candidates Like Ben Carson, Huckabee Sell Like Hotcakes

Friday, 30 Jan 2015 20:50 PM

If potential Republican presidential candidates' recent book sales are a strong indication of their electability, then B . . .

Smoke on Boston Train Scares Passengers Who Bust Out Windows to Escape

Friday, 30 Jan 2015 19:37 PM

A commute on Boston's Red Line Thursday morning turned into chaos as smoke filled the train and passengers broke out win . . .

Seth Jackson Sentence: Foster Dad Gets 32 Months in Hot Car Death

Friday, 30 Jan 2015 18:50 PM

Kansas foster dad Seth Jackson was sentenced to 32 months in prison Friday for the July death of a 10-month-old girl who . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved