San Francisco-based Twitter announced Thursday that it intends to sell stock to the public
for the first time. Naturally, it did it via a tweet.
Here are some quick facts about Twitter and its IPO, aka initial public offering, in 140 characters or less, the limit of tweets, courtesy of The Associated Press
- MT (at)Twitter We've confidentially submitted an S-1 to the SEC for a planned IPO.
- (hash)FunFact: In the first hour of (at)Twitter sending that IPO announcement tweet, 7,872 people retweeted the message.
Urgent: Has Putin Trumped Obama On Syria? Vote Here
- According to (at)APStylebook: "The verb is to tweet, tweeted. A Twitter message is known as a tweet."
- The company was founded 2006 by Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone and Evan Williams. Their handles: (at)Jack, (at)Biz and (at)Ev
- First tweet by (at)Jack was "just setting up my twttr" on March 21, 2006, at 3:50 p.m.
- Dorsey went on to create (at)Square, a system for paying for coffee, goods through phones.
- Twitter soared to popularity in 2007 at the South By Southwest Interactive festival in Austin, Texas. (hash)sxswinteractive (hash)Austin (hash)BBQ
- Three years, two months and one day: The time it took from the first tweet to the billionth tweet. (hash)CoolStat
- Users on (at)Twitter: More than 200 million. (at)Facebook has 1.16 billion. That's nearly six times as many. (hash)QuickMath
- A billion tweets are sent every two and a half days. Put another way, that's three for every man, woman and child in the U.S. via (at)smfrogers
- The public offering comes at a time of heightened investor interest in the IPO market
- 131 IPOs have priced so far this year.
- Is (at)Twitter trying to avoid (at)Facebook's May 2012 IPO (hash)fail? Well, company is keeping details secret for now. (hash)TwitterIPO
- The company hasn't said if it makes a profit or how much revenue it takes in. (hash)FadOrFuture? Wonder if (at)WarrenBuffett will buy stock.
- Most of Twitter's revenue comes from advertising. (at)eMarketer estimates $582.8 million this year, up from $288.3 million in 2012.
- Compare: In latest quarter, Facebook had $1.6 billion in ad revenue. By 2015, Twitter's annual ad revenue is expected to hit $1.3 billion.
- 2013 (hash)Superbowl performance by (at)Beyonce had 268 million tweets per minute, more than any other event in past two years.
- Not everybody on (at)Twitter is who they claim to be. (at)United Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek has to put up with (at)FakeUnitedJeff
Urgent: Should Obamacare be Repealed? Vote Here Now
- Sometimes even missing zoo animals get their own Twitter accounts. And they can be funny. Just read (at)BronxZoosCobra
- Trying to find (hash)Religion? More than 500,000 people look no further than (at)Jesus who describes himself in Twitter as "Carpenter, Healer, God."
- But 2.2 million (hash)HarryPotter fans follow (at)Lord-Voldemort7, The Dark Lord.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.