Republican Sen. Ted Cruz's extended Obamacare "filibluster" speech stretched into its 18th hour Wednesday morning and has covered a wide range of curious topics — from Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham," to "Duck Dynasty," to his favorite fast-food chain.
Cruz, of Texas, took the floor at 2:41 p.m. Tuesday to advocate for the defunding of Obamacare, pledging to continue his talk-a-thon until he's "no longer able to stand." As of 8:40 a.m. Wednesday morning, he's still going.
Though not technically a filibuster — a device sometimes used by senators to delay or prohibit a vote — Cruz's remarks did break the 2013 record for longest speech on the Senate floor, previously held by Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul who spoke continuously for 12 hours and 52 minutes
back in March to protest of the nomination of John Brennan as CIA director.
Urgent: Should Obamacare be Repealed? Vote Here Now
Senate rules state that Cruz cannot continue indefinitely because at some point after noon on Wednesday a test vote will be called that will determine whether to proceed to the resolution, according to the Washington Examiner.
At that point, Cruz will be required to yield the floor.
But his remarks were amusing, to say the least. Politico compiled a highlights list of best quotes
, topics, and points from Cruz's filibuster-like marathon speech:
- On Tuesday around 8 p.m., he read the entire "Green Eggs and Ham" book by Dr. Seuss to his daughters who were watching his speech on TV.
- He referenced A&E's mega-hit reality show "Duck Dynasty": "Jeff said 'Faith, family, and facial hair.' I point out to the junior senator from Utah, if we continue doing this long enough, we may have facial hair on the floor of the Senate."
- He quoted from "The Little Engine That Could": "The train going up that said over and over again, 'I think I can, I think I can. I think I can.' You know, if you listen to a lot of the members of this body, the message would be simple: that little engine can't."
- "I like their little burgers… I'm a big fan of eating White Castle burgers."
- "I don’t think there’s been a day on this floor that I haven’t worn my argument boots… I am not in my argument boots and I will confess, I really do feel embarrassed by that."
- " … A speech that Ashton Kutcher gave. Such a terrific speech. It was a speech at one of these award shows, where he talked about the value of hard work. And, one of the things I remember he said was, 'In my life, opportunity looks an awful lot like hard work.'"
- "The moon might be as intimidating as Obamacare."
- "It is apparently very, very important to be invited to all the right cocktail parties in town. Now, I'll confess: I don't go to a whole lot of cocktail parties in town."
Urgent: Will Obamacare Hurt Your Wallet? Vote Here Now
Ted Cruz' Fierce Stand Against Obamacare Creates Rift in GOP
Rand Paul: Syria Filibuster Depends on Shoes
Wendy Davis Gains Political Capital With Filibuster
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.