Taco Bell Meat Mystery: What's Other 12 Percent That's Not Beef?

Image: Taco Bell Meat Mystery: What's Other 12 Percent That's Not Beef?

Friday, 02 May 2014 09:06 AM

By Nick Sanchez

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Taco Bell is taking a brief hiatus from its breakfast war with McDonald's to explain once and for all what really is in its beef, and how much of it is in fact beef.

According to ABC News, Taco Bell has posted an explanatory graphic on its website this week detailing the 12 percent of its beef that isn't beef.

"Our seasoned beef recipe consists of 88 percent Premium Beef and 12 percent Signature Recipe," the site explains. Some of the ingredients in the Signature Recipe "do have weird names," it states, but they are all "safe and approved by the FDA."

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

Taco Bell came under fire for its beef practices back in 2011 when a class action lawsuit was filed against the company claiming that the company's beef was less than half actual beef. Because of this, it claimed the company could not rightfully continue to advertise it as beef according to the USDA's official definition and requirements.

Taco Bell reacted strongly to this criticism, revealing that the majority of its "Taco Meat Filling" was in fact beef — 88 percent to be exact. That left many to wonder for years, however, about the other 12 percent.

Taco Bell seems to now have all its proverbial ducks in a row, and seems ready to take on any question the public has about the Signature Recipe. In fact, it asks many of them itself:

Is it Grade D meat? Taco Bell's answer: "Although that's funny, the answer is NO. In fact, there's no such grade given by the USDA for beef. We use the same quality beef used in all ground beef (like you'd find in the grocery store) - only USDA-inspected, 100% premium real beef, period."

Do you use oats as filler? Answer: "No, not as filler. Our seasoned beef doesn't contain any 'fillers' or 'extenders' to add volume. The very small percentage of oats is used to help our Seasoned Beef stay moist."

Isn't cellulose a fancy term for wood? Answer: "Cellulose is a safe carbohydrate found in the cell walls of plants and helps with water and oil binding. You'll find it in everything from cheese and vitamins to bread and pasta."

Many took to Twitter to say that even after the big reveal they'll refrain from eating at the fast food joint, but a great many young people seem to be un-phased, and continue to Tweet their love for Taco Bell. Throughout April many of them used Taco Bell as part of their courtships for prom dates and even prom dinner.








Urgent: Assess Your Heart Attack Risk in Minutes. Click Here.

Related Stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
[Error loading the WebPart '']
Value cannot be null. Parameter name: virtualPath
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

Spain's El Gordo Lottery Splits $3B Between Thousands of Winners

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 18:40 PM

Spain's El Gordo lottery, the world's biggest lottery, made thousands of people nearly $500,000 richer after the $3 bill . . .

'The Interview' Distributed Eventually, But Lawyer Not Sure How

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 17:59 PM

"The Interview" will be distributed and Sony Pictures "had no choice" but to delay the movie's release, an attorney for  . . .

Missing Philadelphia Student's Keys Found in Schuylkill River

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 17:42 PM

The car keys belonging to a missing Philadelphia student were found in the Schuylkill River on Sunday, a family member t . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved