Saudi Arabia Beheadings May Bow to Firing Squads Over Lack of Swordsmen

Monday, 11 Mar 2013 04:10 PM

By Michael Mullins

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Due to a lack of authorized swordsmen, Saudi Arabia is considering using firing squads to carry out state-sanctioned executions as an alternative to the country's tradition of public beheading.

The kingdom's regional princes, who govern individual territories within the nation, claim firing squads are necessary "because of the scarcity of swordsmen and their unavailability in a number of regions," officials told Saudi newspapers on Sunday.

The statement, issued by an inter-ministerial committee, said that due to the shortage of authorized swordsman, the executioners were so busy travelling between regions that they often arrived late to beheadings, "which caused security confusion," and resulted in "rumors spreading through modern technology."

Urgent: Obama or GOP: Who’s to Blame for Budget Crisis? Vote Now

So far, in 2013, Saudi Arabia has beheaded 15 individuals. The kingdom publicly executed more than 75 people in 2011 and 2012, the Times reported.

The Saudi monarchy, which rules the kingdom, said the tradition is governed by the Koran, the kingdom’s only constitution.

The nation is the only country in the world to execute criminals with public beheadings, the Times reported.

In addition to sanctioning beheadings, the kingdom allows other medieval punishments, like cutting off the hands of a thief and stoning adulterers, though these punishments are reportedly less prevalent.

Murderers aren’t the only offenders who face beheadings if caught and convicted. Rapists, drug traffickers, and armed robbers also qualify for the public slaying in Saudi Arabia.

Editor's Note: The IRS’ Worst Nightmare — How to Pay Zero Taxes

Muslim scholars across the globe have disputed the Saudi's interpretation of The Koran that calls for public beheadings.

Related stories:

Burkas for Baby Girls in Saudi Arabia Proposed by Cleric

Man, 70, Divorces 15-Year-Old Girl After Human Right Flap

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved