Sandy Hook Elementary School, where gunman Adam Lanza killed 20 children and six adults,
is in the process of being demolished, said an elected official in Newtown, Conn.
First Selectman Pat Llodra said small-scale demolition is underway at the old Sandy Hook Elementary School building and the project will take several weeks. She said the building will be removed in pieces and there will be no wrecking ball action, according to the Associated Press.
Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?
Adam Lanza killed his mother at home
before going to Sandy Hook on Dec. 14. He committed suicide as police arrived.
Newtown has accepted a $50 million state grant to raze the building and build a new school, expected to open by December 2016. Sandy Hook students have been attending classes in a neighboring town.
Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll
Contractors are being asked to destroy materials from Sandy Hook to eliminate nearly every trace of the building.
Residents were split on what to do with Sandy Hook last year, and more than 200 gathered to discuss the fate of the school in January
. Some wanted Sandy Hook to be memorialized, while others wanted every trace of the building to be destroyed.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.