Tags: sandy | cleanup | taxes | damages

NJ Taxes May Climb to Cover Sandy Cleanup

Wednesday, 14 Nov 2012 11:10 AM

By Sandy Fitzgerald

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says some residents in towns hit by Hurricane Sandy may face higher taxes to pay the costs of cleaning up after the massive storm.
 
Christie said while federal aid will cover much of the cost of rebuilding infrastructure damaged in the storm, some towns will need to exceed a two percent property tax increase limit, the Bergen County Record reported Wednesday.
 
The two percent limit was established by law, but it contains an exception that allows town raise revenues to deal with emergency situations.
 
The Republican governor promised the state would make sure towns don’t try to exceed the 2 percent cap for expenses unrelated to the storm. But he said most New Jersey residents are reasonable and “they’ll be happy" to pay the extra taxes if the money is spent “reasonably and responsibly.”
 
Little Ferry Mayor Mauro Raguseo said it’s good to put the cleanup expenses outside the property tax cap, but unfair to slam hard-hit storm victims with higher assessments to cover the cleanup.
 
Raguseo said he, like other mayors around the state, plans to seek 100 percent reimbursement for storm cleanup and repair costs. The government’s usual limit is 75 percent, but he said the other 25 percent would total in the millions and would not be affordable.
 
No concrete figures on damages from Sandy have been released, but Christie said estimates, as well as state revenue projections, should be ready for release this Friday.

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

Tarpon Springs Officer Fatally Shot, Then Run Over by Fugitive

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 03:04 AM

A Tarpon Springs police officer was fatally shot and run over on Sunday by a Florida fugitive trying to evade an arrest  . . .

Fox News Dish Blackout Blamed on Contract Negotiations on Fees

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 02:42 AM

Fox News Channel and the Fox Business Network were blacked out on Dish Network on Sunday as part of contract negotiation . . .

Heidi Klum Ads Too Racy Even for Sin City Airport Toned Down

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 01:56 AM

Ads containing images of Heidi Klum deemed too racy even for Sin City's airport have been toned down and will appear ins . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved