Richie Incognito, the Miami Dolphins' veteran guard, was "indefinitely suspended" Sunday after being accused of leading the locker room bullying that caused rookie Jonathan Martin's departure last week.
A source told the Miami Herald that Incognito and other veteran players
allegedly bullied and hazed rookies by making them pay for their expensive dinners and forcing them to fund extravagant nights out.
"Young Dolphins players are under pressure to dig deep into their pockets to pay for veterans’ social outings, a practice that is straining their finances and locker room chemistry," the source said.
Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?
Incognito reportedly pressured Martin into paying $15,000 for an unofficial team vacation to Las Vegas — a trip that Martin, an offensive tackle, didn't even attend.
One report even said a group of rookies was made to split a $30,000 dinner tab rung up by veterans, as evidenced by a tweet from player Jared Odrick.
"The Miami Dolphins have suspended Richie Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team. We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time," the team said in a statement Sunday. "As we noted earlier, we reached out to the NFL to conduct an objective and thorough review. We will continue to work with the league on this matter."
Incognito, 30, defended himself via Twitter Sunday, calling out ESPN for reporting on the alleged bullying.
"Stop slandering my name," he also tweeted at ESPN’s Adam Schefter. "You hide behind 'sources' who are not man enough to put their name behind the BS you report."
One Twitter user fired back, posting a screenshot of a photo that Incognito uploaded to Instagram six months ago.
Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.