The Richie Incognito controversy that's apparently been bubbling underneath the Miami Dolphins' radar for some time took another twist Monday when news outlets got a hold of a racist voicemail the veteran guard reportedly left rookie Jonathan Martin back in April.
The Dolphins "indefinitely suspended" Incognito over the weekend
after reports surfaced that he bullied and hazed rookies on the team by forcing them to pay thousands of dollars for veteran players' expensive dinners and social outings. Martin, a rookie offensive tackle, left the team Oct. 28.
Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?
ESPN's Adam Schefter tweeted out the contents of the Incognito voicemail Monday.
Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said Monday that the team has requested an independent NFL investigation into the matter.
"Our owner Steve Ross, who had been involved throughout the entire process, contacted the commissioner, Roger Goodell, and requested the NFL become involved and conduct a review of the workplace," he said in a statement. "If the review shows that this is not a safe atmosphere, I will take whatever measures are necessary to ensure that it is. I have that obligation to the players that I coach on a daily basis, and I will do that."
A source close to the team, however, told the Miami Herald that this is likely the end of Incognito's time with the Dolphins.
"He's done," the source said. "There are procedures in place, and everyone wants to be fair. The NFL is involved. But from a club perspective he'll never play another game here."
Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.