A fight promoter has reportedly scrapped the celebrity boxing match between rapper DMX and acquitted Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman.
The fight, which set off a firestorm of controversy when it was first announced last week
, was scheduled to take place in March, but now it appears that promoter Damon Feldman has called it off after all the negative responses.
"This was the wrong person to put in the ring and define celebrity boxing," Feldman said Saturday on Twitter, referring to Zimmerman.
Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll
Domenick Nati, spokesman for DMX, also issued a statement regarding the fight, but made it seem as though the bout was never set in stone.
"The George Zimmerman fight is canceled," Nati said Saturday. "DMX never agreed to the fight and we thank you for all of the support from DMX's fans."
However, another tweet from Feldman on Saturday inferred that he hasn't yet made a final decision.
Feldman was targeted by angry Martin supporters last week for choosing Zimmerman as a potential contestant for the celebrity boxing match.
"We must be very careful not to glorify or in any way sidestep the implications of making someone whose only claim to fame was killing an unarmed young man named Trayvon Martin into a cultural celebrity or hero," Rev. Al Sharpton told the New York Daily News
Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.