Queen's Portrait Vandalized at Westminster Abbey; Police Arrest Suspect

Image: Queen's Portrait Vandalized at Westminster Abbey; Police Arrest Suspect

Thursday, 13 Jun 2013 02:07 PM

By Newsmax Wires

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
A Queen Elizabeth II portrait was vandalized with spray paint at London's Westminster Abbey on Thursday. Police subsequently arrested a man at the church who they believed was involved in the act.

Fathers 4 Justice, a protest group that campaigns on behalf of fathers denied contact with their children, said the arrested man was a member. It said he had written "Help" with paint on the picture in the abbey's Chapter House, The Associated Press reported.

Editor's Note: Get the Navy SEALs Cap – Celebrate Our Heroes

"It was basically a dad that was desperate to see his kids in the run-up to Father's Day," Fathers 4 Justice campaign director Jolly Stanesby said. "He's decided to ask for help."
Stanesby said the action wasn't an official protest organized by the group.

Police said a 41-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and taken to a London police station.

The abbey said the painting by Australia-born artist Ralph Heimans has been removed from public view until it can be restored.

The portrait was commissioned to mark last year's anniversary of the queen's 60 years on the throne. It was on display until March in Australia's National Portrait Gallery in Canberra and was recently bought by Westminster Abbey for its collection.

The 9-foot by 11-foot painting shows the monarch standing on the spot in the abbey where she was crowned.

Last week, the queen and her family attended a ceremony in the abbey to mark the 60th anniversary of her coronation there in June 1953.

Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the vandalism incident.

Fathers 4 Justice emerged about a decade ago and made headlines with high-profile demonstrations, including having members dressed as superheroes scale Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey.

In 2004, members caused panic in the House of Commons chamber when they hurled purple powder at then-Prime Minister Tony Blair from the public gallery.

The original group splintered in 2006 following allegations that extremist members were plotting to kidnap Blair's young son Leo.

According to Stanesby, who claims the group has been consistently ignored by politicians, the organization decided that it would now revert to "nonviolent direct action" in order to have their concerns heard.

Stanesby himself had previously been fined for having once climbed the Stonehenge monument wearing a Fred Flintstone costume.

Urgent: Obama or GOP: Who’s to Blame for Budget Crisis? Vote Now

Related stories:

Commonwealth Day: Queen Elizabeth Supports Gender Equality, Gay Rights?

The Queen Expresses Sadness Over Thatcher Death

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved