Parma Standoff Ends With Suspect in Custody in Ohio

Wednesday, 25 Sep 2013 05:48 PM

By Ken Mandel

  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
A Wednesday morning standoff in Parma, Ohio, ended with a 21-year-old man in police custody.

Authorities were called to an apartment building on State Road at around 5:30 a.m. local time when another tenant reported that a man was shouting and breaking windows, NewsChannel5 reported.

The man then reportedly told arriving officers that he was armed with a "Mac-10" machine pistol and instructed them to raise their hands.

Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is About to Strike. Are You Prepared?

Police told NewsChannel5 that the suspect demanded a phone. The man eventually refused to leave his apartment and cut off contact with crisis negotiators.

"It's something you don't see every day, especially in Parma," neighbor Mary Phillips told Fox 8 Cleveland.

The man littered the lawn below by tossing items out the window. SWAT members pried open the door to the third-floor apartment, and the man hid in another room. Using a Taser, he was subdued and taken to Parma Hospital for self-inflicted injuries.

He didn't have a firearm, police told NewsChannel5.

The Ohio incident is at least the fourth similar one reported in the United States in the past 24 hours. A five-hour police standoff in Newport, Vt., ended Wednesday morning when police placed two suspected gunmen in custody. No injuries were reported.

Police told that a man called at around 5:30 a.m. and said 400 officers had his home surrounded. When law-enforcement officials arrived, the man was perched on top of his garage with a rifle. A 15-year-old boy was also behind the house with a rifle, while nine children and a woman were inside.

In Oklahoma, 54-year-old Sheila Ann Wright was hospitalized after Tulsa police shot her at least twice during a morning standoff. A residential armed robbery had been reported at about 7 a.m., according to Tulsa World.

The Bangor Daily News also reported that a man was killed after a nearly five-hour standoff with police Tuesday night, according Wilton Police Chief Heidi Wilcox.

Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll

Related stories:

Second Hostage Shot in Louisiana Standoff Dies in Hospital

Ingolstadt Hostages Freed: Captor Shot and Arrested at City Hall

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Retype Email:
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved