Tags: parasite | eyeball | teen | sight

Parasite in Eyeball From Dirty Contact Lens Threatens Teen's Sight

Friday, 29 Mar 2013 11:32 AM

By Michael Mullins

An 18-year-old Florida teen almost went half blind after an amoebae-like parasite on her contact lens ate through her one of her corneas, forcing physicians to "drill" into her eye to remove the threat.

Ashley Hyde, a South Florida high school senior, recently contracted an acanthamoeba infection in her left eye after failing to regularly change her disposable lenses, the Daily News reported.

Special: Should the Supreme Court Legalize Gay Marriage? Vote in Urgent Poll.

The infection caused Hyde's left eye to redden and throb, eventually blurring her vision. Doctors could not tell initially what had caused the infection to spread, Florida's Local 10 News reported.

"They did multiple cultures where they scrape your eye," Hyde told Local 10. "One time, they had to drill into my eye. It was really nasty."

After experts determined she contracted an acanthamoeba infection, physicians were able to remove the parasite and prescribe an antibiotic for Hyde.

Acanthamoeba is a microscopic parasite found in soil and water. It can spread among humans via contact lenses, cuts, open wounds, or through inhalation, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

"Every day, we see people come in with contact lens related to infections, complications, ulcers," said Adam Clarin, an optometric physician, in an interview with Local 10. "There are all things that are potentially blinding."

Clarin said the infection is preventable for people with contact lenses if they change them frequently.

"There is nothing safer or healthier than throwing out the lens every day and starting with a new one the next day," he said.

Bacteria, fungus, or even herpes could cause cornea infections like Hyde's, according to the CDC. However, these infections are relatively rare.

The same parasite responsible for Hyde's cornea infection can also cause dangerous brain and spinal cord infections, and other widespread infections, the CDC reported.

A 2007 outbreak of Acanthamoeba keratitis, the technical term for the cornea infection, led to a recall of Advanced Medical Optics Complete MoisturePlus contact solution, which was reportedly linked to the condition in the U.S., according to the CDC.

Editor's Note: The IRS’ Worst Nightmare — How to Pay Zero Taxes

Related links:

Contact Lens Dangers: What You Need to Know

Experts Don’t See Eye to Eye on Glaucoma Treatment

© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

UC Davis Ebola Case? Adult Patient With Virus' Symptoms Admitted

Thursday, 29 Jan 2015 20:25 PM

A patient with Ebola-like symptoms was admitted to UC Davis Medical Center in California on Thursday in "good" condition . . .

Mummified Mongolian Monk Found Sitting in Lotus Position

Thursday, 29 Jan 2015 19:54 PM

A mummified Mongolian Buddhist monk, which may be as many as 200 years old, has been discovered sitting in a lotus medit . . .

Ohio State Patrol Marijuana Bust: 235 Pounds Worth $1.2M Recovered

Thursday, 29 Jan 2015 19:34 PM

Ohio State Patrol officers recovered 235 pounds of marijuana with an estimated value of $1.2 million during a traffic st . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved