Nigella Lawson Drug Admission Won't Prompt Police Investigation

Image: Nigella Lawson Drug Admission Won't Prompt Police Investigation

Tuesday, 28 Jan 2014 08:57 AM

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Nigella Lawson won't be further investigated by police for her admitted drug use, a decision that brought immediate criticism.

The decision by the Metropolitan Police Service to not pursue charges against Lawson was met with immediate criticism from some who attributed the decision to law enforcement's alleged disinterest in prosecuting drug crimes committed by Britain's middle and upper-classes.

"People of other socio-economic backgrounds will often get prosecuted for this behavior," Conservative MP Robert Buckland said in response to the announcement, the Daily Mail reported.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

"We all need to ask ourselves, 'Why is it we have this very middle-class view about drug-taking whereas the reality for many families is drug-taking is a real blight on lives and causes misery?'" Buckland continued.

When news of the drug use first spread, the Metropolitan Police Service initially said it would not pursue the matter, but in late December it somewhat revised its position and said it would not rule out the chance of a prosecution against Lawson if more evidence came forth beyond her admission.

The 53-year-old British journalist turned celebrity chef had in early December admitted while testifying under oath in court that she had used both marijuana and cocaine during her former marriage with British businessman Charles Saatchi. Lawson had been testifying as a witness in a fraud trial involving two former aides.

Though she admitted to using drugs, Lawson claimed the allegations that she was a habitual drug user were false and a distraction from the real matter at hand: the accusation that her former aides committed fraud. Lawson claimed that the sisters ran up more than $1 million in unauthorized charges for household expenses via the credit cards that she and her former husband issued them.

Lawson further claimed that the entire drug issue was an attempt by her ex-husband to destroy her career by attacking her reputation.

Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?

"I did not have a drug problem, I had a life problem," she told the court.

"He had said to me if I didn't get back to him and clear his name he would destroy me," Lawson added. "I have been put on trial here where I am called to answer, and glad to answer the allegations, and the world's press, and it comes after a long summer of bullying and abuse."

Earlier in the year photos surfaced of Saatchi holding Lawson by the neck. Despite the fear and pain expressed on Lawson's face, the Iraqi-born British businessman said the violent act was just a "playful tiff."

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved