Nicole Kidman's 'Grace of Monaco' Delayed for a Second Time

Friday, 24 Jan 2014 10:12 AM

By Michael Mullins

Share:
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
   Forward Article  |
  Copy Shortlink
Nicole Kidman's "Grace of Monaco" film release has been delayed from its scheduled March 14 premiere by the Weinstein Company.

This is the second time the Weinstein Company has pulled the film, which was initially scheduled for a Nov. 27 release so that it could compete in the 2013 Oscars, TheWrap.com reported.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

The movie is a biopic of the actress turned princess Grace Kelly, played by Kidman, who at the young age of 26 in 1956, left Hollywood behind when she married Prince Rainier III of Monaco, with whom she had three children. Kelly died in 1982 at just 52 years of age.


The "Grace of Monaco" delay apparently stems from editing issues that arose between the Weinstein Company and the filmmaker – French director and screenwriter Olivier Dahan.

In an interview with the French newspaper Liberation last year, Dahan blasted the production company's chief Harvey Weinstein for delaying the release, accusing the Hollywood VIP of suggesting cuts for purely promotional reasons.

"The film that I am in the process of finishing is complicated to finalize, although actually, for me, it is finished," Dahan told Liberation. "What's complicated at the moment is ensuring that you, the critics, can review my version of the film and not that of somebody else. It's not over yet. I haven't given up."

In the interview with Liberation, Dahan said he was being blackmailed by Weinstein into signing off on a new edit which did not represent his original vision, Britain's Guardian reported.

"It's got hardly anything to do with the film. It's only about the money, the release strategy, millions of dollars and stuff like that," Dahan continued. "They want a commercial film smelling of daisies, taking out anything that exceeds that which is too abrupt, everything that makes it cinematic and breathe with life. A lot of things are missing."

"When you confront an American distributor like Weinstein, not to name names, there is not much you can do," the director added. "Either you say 'Go figure it out with your pile of s--t' or you brace yourself so the blackmail isn't as violent. . . There are two versions of the film for now: mine and his. . . Which I find catastrophic."

The film, which was shot in France, Italy and Monaco last Autumn, concentrates on a period in 1962 when De Gaulle established an economic blockade on Monaco over its status as a tax haven, TheWrap.com noted.

In addition to Kidman, the movie also stars Tim Roth and Frank Langella among others.





Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?

Related Stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
   Forward Article  |
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved