Mark Shand, the brother of Duchess of Cornwall Camilla Parker Bowles and brother-in-law to Prince Charles, died Wednesday after hitting his head on a New York City sidewalk.
The injury happened at about 3 a.m. Wednesday outside the Rose Bar at the Gramercy, where Shand reportedly was lighting a cigarette when he slipped and fell, according to the New York Daily News
Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll
He was alert when emergency responders arrived at the scene, but died later at Bellevue Hospital, according to the newspaper.
“The Duchess, The Prince of Wales and all her family members are utterly devastated by this sudden and tragic loss,” a spokesman for the British royal family said in a statement reported by the Daily News.
Before the fall, Shand had presided over the Faberge Egg Final Auction at Sotheby’s, a charity fundraiser. He later attended a party at Diamond House club before moving to the Rose Bar at the Gramercy.
The charity auction raised $1.6 million for Elephant Family and Studio In A School, according to the Daily Mail. Shand started the Elephant Family charity
in 2002 to help prevent the extinction of the Asian elephant.
"He was both a legend and inspiration and above all our great friend," Elephant Family said in a statement, according to the BBC
. "We ask at this time that people's thoughts are with his loved ones. We will miss him always. "
Friends offered condolences on Twitter.
Urgent: Assess Your Heart Attack Risk in Minutes. Click Here.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.