Tags: man | dies | drinking | coca cola

Man Dies From Drinking Too Much Coca-Cola, Rules British Coroner

Image: Man Dies From Drinking Too Much Coca-Cola, Rules British Coroner

Wednesday, 29 May 2013 01:36 PM

By Alexandra Ward

A U.K. man drank himself to death after developing a habit of consuming three liters of Coca-Cola a day, a coroner ruled Tuesday at an inquest.

Paul Inman, of West Yorkshire, drank so much Coke that his lungs swelled to four times their natural weight, killing the 30-year-old in his sleep in March 2012. The exact cause of death was released at an inquest this week.

Inman, who suffered from Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism, lived at an assisted living facility. His illness drove him into unhealthy habitual behaviors, such as the excessive soda drinking and sometimes smoking up to 20 cigarettes an hour.

Urgent: Is Obama Telling the Truth on IRS, Benghazi Scandals?

"I've said all this time the cause of it was he drank excessively, absolutely excessively," Inman's mother told The Telegraph. "He had done since he was 10 years old. We used to say he had a self-destruct button."

Inman isn't the first person to die from a Coca-Cola addiction. A coroner similarly ruled earlier this year that Natasha Harris, a 30-year-old mother of eight from New Zealand, died in 2010 from a fatal heart attack brought on by her 10-liter-a-day soda habit.

"Natasha Harris died of cardiac arrhythmia," the coroner's report said. "On the balance of probabilities it is more likely than not that the drinking of very large quantities of Coke was a substantial factor that contributed to the development of metabolic imbalances, which gave rise to the arrhythmia."

Coca-Cola released a statement disputing the report.

Urgent: Is Obamacare Hurting Your Wallet? Vote in Poll

"The coroner acknowledged that he could not be certain what caused Ms. Harris' heart attack," the release said. "Therefore we are disappointed that the coroner has chosen to focus on the combination of Ms. Harris' excessive consumption of Coca-Cola, together with other health and lifestyle factors, as the probable cause of her death. This is contrary to the evidence that showed the experts could not agree on the most likely cause."

Related stories:

After Coca-Cola Addict Mom's Death, Coroner Urges Caffeine Warning

Coca-Cola Scam Nets $200K for Mother-Daughter Duo

Coca-Cola Obesity Ad Campaign Criticized by Health Advocates

© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

Chris Christie Falling Off a Chair: Newly Released Clip Is a Viral Gem

Friday, 30 Jan 2015 13:23 PM

The Internet delivered a gem of a video Friday when Philadelphia radio station 94WIP released a never-before-seen clip o . . .

Pilot Locked Out of Cockpit; Plane Makes Emergency Landing

Friday, 30 Jan 2015 13:07 PM

A Delta Air Lines pilot got locked out of the cockpit during a routine flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas Thursday, fo . . .

Dragon Dinosaur in China With 50-Foot Neck Didn't Breathe Fire

Friday, 30 Jan 2015 12:23 PM

The remains of a dragon dinosaur that stalked Earth 160 million years ago have been found in southwestern China, accordi . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved