Tags: iphone | catches | fire | girl | pants | pocket

iPhone Catches Fire in Girl's Pants Pocket, Burning Her Badly

Wednesday, 05 Feb 2014 08:54 AM

By Michael Mullins

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
An iPhone caught fire reportedly in a Maine girl’s pants pocket on Friday leaving her with second-degree burns on her thigh and back, according to family and school officials.

The 14-year-old eight grader from Kennebunk had just sat down to her first-period French class when she and two friends heard a pop from the Apple iPhone 5C, the Portland Press Herald reported.

"Immediately, smoke starts billowing from around the student," Jeff Rodman, principal of the Middle School of the Kennebunks, told the Portland Press Herald. "She knew right away something was wrong and, in a panic, knew her pants were on fire caused by the cell phone."

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

According to Rodman, the girl was instructed to "stop, drop and roll," to subdue the flames and in the process her "phone fell out of her pocket." The phone was "still smoldering [and] her pants were still on fire," Rodman added.

The girl then reportedly tore off her pants as her teacher and fellow female classmates surrounded her in the corner of the room while other teachers removed the boys to ensure her privacy. The girl was subsequently wrapped in a blanket until first responders arrived.

After being treated at Southern Maine Health Care in Biddeford, the girl was released on Friday, according to her mother Judy Milligan, who told the Portland Press Herald that she was "a little bit in shock" when she first heard what had happened.

Amazingly, the girl asked if she could return to class following the ordeal, though school administrators told her she should stay home and recover, her mother added.

"She’s very calm – just a calm person," Milligan said.

Her mother had reportedly given the Apple iPhone to her daughter two months earlier.

Apple has yet to respond to the incident.

Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?

Though rare, this isn’t the first case of a cell phone catching fire, the cause of which is believed to be overheating caused by a lithium-ion type rechargeable battery built inside.

In December, a man’s Samsung S4 reportedly caught fire while it was being charged.

The iPhone that caught fire in the teen’s pants is currently in the custody of investigators with the state Fire Marshal’s Office.

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

Cambodia HIV Outbreak: 100-Plus People Diagnosed; Investigation Sought

Friday, 19 Dec 2014 18:50 PM

More than 100 HIV infections in a single Cambodian village have spurred the country's prime minister to ask for an inves . . .

Slender Man Case: Two Girls Competent to Stand Trial in Stabbing

Friday, 19 Dec 2014 18:26 PM

Two girls who allegedly stabbed a 12-year-old friend over the online game Slender Man are competent to stand trial for a . . .

Kate Upton Sexiest Woman Alive; Model Apologizes to Teen Brother

Friday, 19 Dec 2014 17:52 PM

Model Kate Upton was selected as People magazine's first Sexiest Woman Alive, a month after Chris Hemsworth received the . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved