The tragic death of pop legend Whitney Houston was likely caused by a combination of prescription medications, including Xanax, mixed with alcohol, according to TMZ
The website cited as its source family members who were briefed by Los Angeles County Coroner officials.
Officials indicated to Houston’s family that insufficient amounts of water were in the singer’s lungs for her to have drowned and additionally indicated that her death probably occurred before she submerged into the bathtub at the Beverly Hilton hotel room where her body was found.
Investigators are examining the singer’s activities and behavior in the hours and days that preceded Houston’s death and have already questioned her family, staff, and acquaintances.
The official cause of death will not be determined until after the toxicology tests are completed in six to eight weeks.
Whitney's aunt, Mary Jones, reportedly discovered Houston unconscious in the bathtub, and she attempted to perform CPR. Someone from Houston’s entourage notified hotel security approximately one half-hour later.
Houston, who battled drug and alcohol addiction, entered rehab for the third time in 2011.
The legendary singer gave her final performance at Grammy nominee Kelly Price's party, which was held on Thursday at Hollywood nightclub Tru.
Photos show Houston leaving the club in a somewhat disheveled state. She appeared to have some scratches on her body and blood flowing down her leg.
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.