Tags: goonies | sequel | director | richarddonner

'Goonies' Sequel Confirmed by Original Director Richard Donner

Image: 'Goonies' Sequel Confirmed by Original Director Richard Donner

By Michael Mullins   |   Wednesday, 09 Apr 2014 02:07 PM

A "Goonies" sequel is in the works, according to Richard Donner, the director of the 1980s cult classic.

While signing autographs in Beverly Hills last week, the 83-year-old "Goonies" director told a TMZ photographer "We're doing a sequel," in reference to the popular 1985 film that starred Sean Astin, Josh Brolin, Corey Feldman, and Robert Davi, among others.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

When asked if the film would feature any of the old cast members mentioned above, Donner said, "Hopefully all of them."

The confirmation contradicts prior statements by Donner, who in 2010 told Collider.com, "I don't think there'd be a sequel."

"I wouldn't remake it. If anything it'd be something new and fresh," Donner added.

At the time, the famous movie maker, who directed such films as "The Omen," "Scrooged," and several "Lethal Weapon" movies, was apparently trying to convert the movie into a musical, the New York Daily News reported. The musical concept, however, never came to fruition.

It wasn’t mentioned whom Donner has in mind to breathe new life into the storyline of the nearly 30-year-old movie, which was originally written by famous screenwriter Chris Columbus with a story provided by Steven Spielberg.

Astin, now 43, was apparently more confident of a "Goonies" sequel earlier on, having said during a 2012 mini-reunion with Corey Feldman that "it will happen," IGN.com reported.

"I'm 1000 percent certain there will be a sequel. I will bet my children on it," Astin added.

Feldman made news last October when he published the book "Coreyography," in which he made allegations that he and friend Corey Haim were sexually abused and used drugs during their time in Hollywood as child actors.

During the brief street encounter in Beverly Hills last week, Donner also fielded several questions from the TMZ photographer about his feelings on the decade-long string of comic book movies that have become some of the largest blockbusters in recent years.

When asked by the photographer, "Are you disappointed that now Hollywood seems to rely on comic book and super hero movies like a crutch?" Donner responded, "I don't think it’s a crutch. They're smart. They got a good thing going for them."

Urgent: Assess Your Heart Attack Risk in Minutes. Click Here.

Related Stories:

© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A "Goonies" sequel is in the works, according to Richard Donner, the director of the 1980s cult classic.
goonies,sequel,director,richarddonner
Preview
Preview
410
2014-07-09
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved