The bus company offering "Ghetto Tours" of the Bronx appears to have stopped the inner-city outings but outrage is still mounting, with residents and local politicians fuming over the "disgusting" ghetto gawking.
Real Bronx Tours, led by guide Lynn Battaglia, offered three "Ghetto Tours" of the Bronx a week
to tourists itching to see the "real New York City ghetto," including stops at a pickpocket park, a view of the long lines at food pantries, and a tour of the housing projects. Tours cost $45.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz last week called Battaglia "the biggest fool on the planet."
Latest: Is Obama in Cover-Up on Benghazi? Vote Here
"They should tell people about the Bronx that we all know,
and that's the Bronx that’s had the lowest crime rate since 1963 last year," he told the New York Post. "To have foreigners come and gawk at a long line of people who are less fortunate than they are and to make money off of that ... is pretty disgusting."
On Monday, Diaz and City Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito sent an open letter to Real Bronx Tours asking them to stop the trips, and now the excursions no longer appear on the company's website.
But that hasn't stopped Twitter users from voicing their outrage.
Urgent: Is Obamacare Hurting Your Wallet? Vote in Poll
Kaiser Report: More Seniors Living in Poverty Than Thought
Nearly Half of New Yorkers Faced Poverty in 2011
'Extreme' Poverty in US Has More Than Doubled, Study Says
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.