Flappy Bird Game Will Return to App Stores in August, Creator Says

Thursday, 15 May 2014 12:50 PM

By Michael Mullins

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Flappy Bird is coming back.

The popular app game, which was pulled from the market in February and closely resembled Nintendo's Super Mario game, will be returning in August, according to its creator Dong Nguyen.

Having just months earlier said Flappy Bird was "gone forever," Nguyen told CNBC late Wednesday that he hopes to have the game back in app stores by the end of the summer.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

Though Nguyen did not address whether or not Flappy Bird would be redesigned in its relaunch, the app creator said that his time away from the spotlight convinced him to retool his mega-hit before proceeding with making more app games, The Washington Post reported.

Flappy Bird soared to the top of most-downloaded lists for both the iPhone and Android platforms earlier in the year due in large part to its simple yet addictive format in which players simply tap the screen to guide the little bird through a maze of pipes.

The game was reportedly raking in $50,000 a day before the Vietnamese developer suddenly pulled it from app stores in the first week of February.

In an interview with The Verge before the game was pulled from the market, Nguyen said, "The reason Flappy Bird is so popular is that it happens to be something different from mobile games today, and is a really good game to compete against each other."

"People in the same classroom can play and compete easily because [Flappy Bird] is simple to learn, but you need skill to get a high score," Nguyen added.

Despite it striking resemblance to Nintendo's Super Mario game, as demonstrated by the tweet below, Nguyen insisted his decision to pull the game was not based on legal issues, writing on Twitter, "It is not anything related to legal issues. I just cannot keep it anymore."

Urgent: Assess Your Heart Attack Risk in Minutes. Click Here.



Nguyen instead attributed his decision to pull the game due to the stress caused by critics comparing the two, writing on Twitter, "I cannot take this anymore," before he announced the end of the game.

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved