A lawsuit alleges a teen's habitual consumption of energy drinks caused his death, in a complaint filed against Monster Beverage Corp. on Tuesday.
The energy drink giant was to blame for the teen's cardiac arrhythmia last year which led to his death, the mother, Paula Morris, claims, according to The Associated Press.
Special: Should Gay Marriage Be Legal? Vote in Urgent Poll.
Alex Morris, 19, went into cardiac arrest during the early morning hours of July 1 and was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The lawsuit filed in Alameda County Superior Court alleges Morris would not have died if he did not drink two cans of Monster's energy drink every day for the three years before his death
, including the day he died.
The lawsuit comes after the family of 14-year-old Anais Fournier, of Maryland, also sued the energy drink company last year after she consumed two 24-ounce cans of Monster and died.
"Our allegations in the lawsuits are the same and that's the peoples deaths were caused by these energy drinks and, more specifically, the defendants failure to warn about the dangers," said Alexander Wheeler, an attorney representing the plaintiffs in both cases against the energy drink company.
San Francisco city attorney Dennis Herrera is also suing Monster Beverage for marketing its energy drinks to children, saying the products pose severe health risks.
Monster representatives did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment on the energy drink suits.
Editor's Note: Get the Navy SEALs Cap – Celebrate Our Heroes
The Corona-based company said previously in Fournier's case that no blood test was performed to confirm that the girl died of "caffeine toxicity" as the lawsuit claimed. The energy drink giant claimed the girl died of natural causes brought on by pre-existing conditions.
Monster and other energy drinks have received increased scrutiny
in recent months. The Food and Drug Administration is investigating reports of deaths linked to energy drinks
, including five that cite Monster beverages, but the agency noted that the reports don't prove the drinks caused the deaths.
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.