Glenn Ford, Death Row Inmate for 30 Years, Goes Free After Exoneration

Image: Glenn Ford, Death Row Inmate for 30 Years, Goes Free After Exoneration

Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 12:39 PM

By Michael Mullins

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Glenn Ford, a death row inmate for 30 years, was released Tuesday after being exonerated of a 1983 Louisiana murder for which he had been falsely convicted.

Upon walking out of the Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola, Glenn Ford, now 64, told reporters, "My mind's going all kinds of directions, but it feels good," CBS affiliate WAFB reported. "My sons, when I left, was babies. Now they grown men with babies."

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

When asked by a reporter if he harbored any resentment toward the justice system, Ford candidly responded, "Yeah."

"I was locked up almost 30 years for something I didn't do," Ford told the reporter, WAFB noted. "Thirty years of my life, if not all of it. I can't go back."



Ford was convicted of first degree murder for the killing of Shreveport, La., businessman Isadore Rozeman.

Ford's release this week stemmed from undisclosed evidence from last year, the Shreveport Times reported.

Rozeman's family told reporters that they hoped the new evidence would lead to authorities finding the person responsible for the murder of Isadore Rozeman.

As a result of his 30 years spent on Louisiana's death row, Ford earned the undesired distinction of being the longest serving death row inmate in the state, the Shreveport Times noted.

"We are very pleased to see Glenn Ford finally exonerated, and we are particularly grateful that the prosecution and the court moved ahead so decisively to set Mr. Ford free," Ford's attorneys Gary Clements and Aaron Novod told reporters Tuesday.

Novod and Clements are members of the Capital Post Conviction Project of Louisiana, which represented Ford in his appeal effort.

Due to his wrongful incarceration, Ford will receive $25,000 for each year in prison from the state of Louisiana, according to the Innocence Project. Additionally, wrongfully convicted people are eligible for an additional $80,000 for loss of life opportunities, WAFB.com reported.

When asked what he planned to do first as a free man, Ford told reporters, "Go get something to eat."

Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll

Related Stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

Tapeworm in Brain of Man for 4 Years Removed by Surgeons

Saturday, 22 Nov 2014 17:33 PM

A tapeworm that not only lived in a man's brain for four years but traveled from one side of the brain to the other has  . . .

Window Washer's 11-Story Fall Ends Atop Car - He Survived!

Saturday, 22 Nov 2014 17:14 PM

A window washer survived with critical injuries after falling 11 stories from the roof of a San Francisco bank building  . . .

Georgia O'Keefe $44 Million Painting Most for Woman Artist

Saturday, 22 Nov 2014 16:49 PM

A new world auction record for women artists was set when a painting by late American artist Georgia O'Keeffe sold for m . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved