Tags: dead | 40 | minutes | man

Dead for 40 Minutes, Man Brought Back to Life by New CPR System

Tuesday, 14 May 2013 09:12 AM

By Michael Mullins

A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
   Forward Article  |
  Copy Shortlink
After being clinically dead for 40 minutes, an Australian man was brought back to life by a new resuscitation system that involved the simultaneous use of a mechanical CPR machine and a heart-lung machine.

Colin Fiedler, 39, got a second lease on life after being dead for 40 to 60 minutes at The Alfred hospital in Melbourne. Physicians administered Fiedler two new techniques to save his life, News.com.au reported.

Urgent: Is Obamacare Hurting Your Wallet? Vote in Poll

Doctors used a mechanical CPR machine, AutoPulse, which performed constant chest compressions on Fiedler. Simultaneously, doctors employed a portable heart-lung machine to keep oxygen and blood flowing to the patient's brain and vital organs.

"I'm so grateful, more than I could ever say," Fiedler told the Herald Sun.

Fiedler received the life-saving procedure last June.

Since then, seven other cardiac arrest victims have been successfully treated by the concurrent methods, the extracorporeal membrane oxygenation machine and the AutoPulse machine.

Fiedler has reportedly turned over a new leaf since having the heart attack, quitting smoking and avoiding stressful situations, News.com.au reported.

Considering the success of the program, local medical officials are considering expanding the system across Melbourne in the near future. Currently, the resuscitation system is only available at The Alfred.

"We are looking to where to best implement these machines around Melbourne," intensive care physician Professor Stephen Bernard said.

In addition to maintaining the machinery, three trained intensive-care physicians are required to be available at all times in order for the system to work.

This isn't the first time the AutoPulse machine has helped save a patient's life after they have been pronounced dead for an extended period of time.

In Britain, Arun Bhasin, 53, was taken to a hospital after he was found unconscious in the street. As he arrived at the medical facility, Bhasin reportedly went into cardiac arrest.

The man was placed on the AutoPulse machine, where after 3.5 hours, and more than 20,000 chest compressions, he came back to life, The Mirror reported.

ALERT: Government ‘Blunder’ Spawns Massive Profit Opportunity

Related stories:

Nurse Refuses to Give CPR to Collapsed Woman, Per Policy

Red Cross: 10,000 Learn CPR to Honor Rep. Giffords

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   Email Us   |
   Print   |
   Forward Article  |
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Retype Email:
Zip Code:
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved