A cow fell on and killed a man in Brazil. Joao Maria de Souza died after a cow fell through the roof of his home and landed on the bed where he and his wife were sleeping.
It was the third recent incident where a cow falls through a roof in Caratinga, a hilly region in Southeast Brazil known for raising cattle and producing dairy products.
The 45-year-old victim of last Wednesday's incident, Joao Maria de Souza, was rushed to a hospital where he was treated for a fractured left leg.
Editor's Note: Don't Miss These Free Government Giveaways
Fully conscious and talking normally, de Souza had no other obvious injuries, Britain's Telegraph reported.
Within hours, however, de Souza was dead from internal bleeding.
At the time of his death, the man was still being treated by doctors, according to his family.
The cow, which had reportedly escaped from a nearby farm, wandered onto the corrugated roof atop the couple's home, which backs onto a hill in Caratinga.
The roof immediately gave way and the 3,000 pound animal came crashing down on de Souza.
"Being crushed by a cow in your bed is the last way you expect to leave this earth," de Souza's brother-in-law Carlos Correa told Brazil's Hoje em Dia newspaper. "But in my view it wasn't the cow that killed our Joao, it was the unacceptable time he spent waiting to be examined."
Hospital officials immediately denied the accusation, The Independent reported
Neither the cow, nor de Souza's wife were injured as a result of the freak accident.
Caratinga police have subsequently launched an investigation into the incident and the cow's owner could be brought up on charges of involuntary manslaughter, the Telegraph reported.
"I didn't bring my son up to be killed by a falling cow," de Souza's grieving mother Maria told Brazil's SuperCanal TV channel.
Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll
There have been two other incidences of cows falling through rooftops in Caratinga in recent years, according to the BBC
In both cases, however, no one was killed.
In the first instance, the house was vacated when the bovine crashed through the ceiling.
In the second case, a small child and a baby were sleeping in close proximity to where the cow fell through the ceiling. The children were not injured by the falling cow.
Wisdom Teeth Death: Man, 24, Suffers Cardiac Arrest During Oral Surgery
Kiss of Death? Toxic Metals Found in Lipstick
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.