The British Columbia Coroners Service released its final report on Cory Monteith's death Wednesday, which confirmed that the actor died accidentally after mixing heroin and alcohol.
Monteith, 31, was found dead in a Vancouver hotel room July 13. Coroner Claire Thompson concluded that Monteith "died of mixed drug toxicity, involving intravenous heroin use combined with the ingestion of alcohol," according to the report.
Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?
It was also revealed Wednesday that investigators found a spoon with drug residue, a used hypodermic needle, and two empty champagne bottles in the hotel room, ABC News reported.
The report said that Monteith's death was likely unintentional and claimed that when illicit drug users abstain from using for long periods of time, their tolerance decreases, leading to accidental overdoses.
Best known for his role as Finn Hudson on "Glee," the actor had struggled with substance abuse for years, and often talked about getting clean in past interviews. He first went to rehab at age 19, and reportedly returned there for a second stint in April.
He previously called addiction a "serious problem" and told Parade magazine in 2011 that he was "lucky to be alive."
Jane Lynch, Monteith's "Glee" costar, honored the actor at the 65th Emmy Awards Sept. 22
"Cory was a beautiful soul," she said during the tribute. "He was not perfect, which many of us here tonight can relate to, his death is a tragic reminder of the rapacious, senseless destruction that is brought on by addiction. Tonight we remember Cory for all he was, and mourn the loss of all he could have been."
Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll
After 'Glee' Lover Cory Monteith's Death, Lea Michele Asks for Privacy (Video)
Son of Jack Klugman: 'Criminal' For Emmys to Honor Cory Monteith Over Dad
Cory Monteith's Cause of Death: Heroin and Alcohol, Coroner Says
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.