A Texas man and his dog became trapped in a locked Corvette Monday after an electrical malfunction, and both died in the excessive heat.
James Rogers had been dining at a café in Port Arthur and went out to make sure his dog wasn’t too hot in his 2007 Corvette, 12 News reported
. He left his cell phone charging in the restaurant. In the car, which has no manual door locks, he was unable to get out after an apparent short in the system caused the locks and horn to fail.
The “freak accident” was made more tragic by the fact that there was an emergency release in the Corvette, but Rogers apparently didn’t know about it, 12 News said. Many other Corvette owners went online to comment they weren't aware of it, either, and several shared instances of when they became trapped in the same type of situation.
“I was in the same situation several years ago, locked inside my '08 Corvette after the battery died. Everything is electric so NOTHING will work,” one person wrote on a 12 News story.
“By the Grace of God, the salesman had shown me the ‘emergency release’ handle located on the left side/bottom of the driver's seat that opens the driver's door and I was able to free myself that day. I called one of my friends today who owns an '08 and he didn't know where to find the release handle.”
Rogers’ daughter Tricia Hernandez told 12 News the car was her father’s dream car, and it broke her heart that it took his life.
Another man in October became trapped in a Corvette, but was able to call police from his cell phone.
© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.