Ariel Castro, accused of kidnapping of three women, made a surprise request Wednesday to have his 6-year-old daughter, whom he fathered with an alleged victim, visit him in jail. The judge immediately rejected the idea, Reuters reports.
With his head down and wearing an orange prison jumpsuit, Castro was barely audible at an Ohio court hearing when he asked the judge to see his daughter, appearing to catch his own lawyers off guard.
Urgent: Is Obamacare Hurting Your Wallet? Vote in Poll
Cuyahoga County Judge Michael Russo immediately refused to lift a "no contact" order with the girl, who escaped with her mother Amanda Berry from Castro's house on May 6.
"It is not appropriate," Russo said to Castro's request.
Russo also said that two court-appointed psychiatrists had found Castro competent to stand trial on more than 329 charges of rape, kidnapping and murder for holding three women captive for about a decade. Russo set a date of Aug. 5 for the start of the trial.
He has also been accused of aggravated murder by beating and starving one of the victims to prompt a miscarriage.
Prosecutors say Castro abducted Berry, now 27, Michelle Knight, 32 and Gina DeJesus, 23, between 2002 and 2004, and imprisoned them in his home until they were rescued on May 6.
So far, Castro has been charged with crimes during the period of 2001 to 2007, according to prosecutor Blaise Thomas. A grand jury is expected to convene soon to consider more charges against him.
Editor's Note: Get the Navy SEALs Cap – Celebrate Our Heroes
Cleveland Suicide Note: Ariel Castro Said 'I Am a Sexual Predator'
Ariel Castro's Daughter: He Is Dead to Me
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.