Ben & Jerry's Ingredient List Bans Anything Genetically Modified

Image: Ben & Jerry's Ingredient List Bans Anything Genetically Modified

Monday, 03 Jun 2013 01:01 PM

By Alexandra Ward

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Ben & Jerry's announced this week it will phase out genetically modified ingredients from all of its ice cream flavors by 2014 in following with the nationwide trend of better labeling food products.

Genetically modified foods are engineered to resist insecticides and herbicides, but have been a source of controversy recently. Farmers and supporters say GMO plants yield better crops and increase food supply, but critics argue that the chemicals lead to long-term health problems and ruin the environment.

As of now, 80 percent of Ben & Jerry's ingredients are non-GMO. The Vermont-based ice cream maker said it plans to phase out the remaining 20 percent over the next year.

Urgent: Is Obama Telling the Truth on IRS, Benghazi Scandals?

"We have a long history of siding with consumers and their right to know what's in their food," the company said in a statement on its website. "We commit to sourcing non-GMO ingredients for all our products everywhere by year-end 2013… We will track our progress as we complete this conversion, with public updates on this site. Beginning now, and throughout 2013, we will transition packaging so that all Ben & Jerry's products will be labeled with respect to GMO by the end of 2014. We thank and encourage all those who are continuing this fight in support of transparency and the consumer's right to know."

Ben & Jerry's announcement comes less than a year after California voters struck down Proposition 37, which would have required the state to label all GMO foods. Ben & Jerry's parent company, Unilever, donated almost half a million dollars to defeat the measure, according to Underground Health.

Urgent Poll: Is the US Economy Healthy? Is it a Bubble About to Burst Again? Vote Now

Unilever joined forces with the likes of Monsanto, Kraft, The Hershey Company, and PepsiCo, spending $44 million between them all to defeat the proposition.

Related stories:

Labeling of Genetically Modified Foods Could Be Law in Oregon

Are Genetically Modified Apples Safe?

States Mull Genetically Altered Food Labeling

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

Cambodia HIV Outbreak: 100-Plus People Diagnosed; Investigation Sought

Friday, 19 Dec 2014 18:50 PM

More than 100 HIV infections in a single Cambodian village have spurred the country's prime minister to ask for an inves . . .

Slender Man Case: Two Girls Competent to Stand Trial in Stabbing

Friday, 19 Dec 2014 18:26 PM

Two girls who allegedly stabbed a 12-year-old friend over the online game Slender Man are competent to stand trial for a . . .

Kate Upton Sexiest Woman Alive; Model Apologizes to Teen Brother

Friday, 19 Dec 2014 17:52 PM

Model Kate Upton was selected as People magazine's first Sexiest Woman Alive, a month after Chris Hemsworth received the . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved