A house explsion in Beloit, Wis., leved the home and left two people injured Sunday. State fire officials are looking into the cause of the blast, but suspect natural gas.
A pet died in the blast, fire officials said, and two residents were trapped after a pair of walls were blown out and the roof came crashing down on top of them, the news website Madison.com reported
Urgent: Is Obamacare Hurting Your Wallet? Vote in Poll
Both victims suffered from burns and were taken to the hospital, authorities said.
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that firefighters were called about 7:40 p.m.
and arrived to find little left standing and spot fires amidst the rubble. In all, 20 fire departments responded to the scene, which led to authorities evacuating several nearby homes.
Diana Smith was among the first neighbors on the scene. She told The Janesville Gazette “there was a lady in there and she was saying, ‘Help me, help me,
I can’t move my legs.’ We kept telling her that help was on its way.”
Smith said the couple who were renting the house just recently moved in. Several news organizations said the home was valued at $48,500.
Sadly, natural gas explosions are not too uncommon.
On June 13, a natural gas explosion destroyed one house and damaged several others in the town of Westminster, Colo.
Editor's Note: Get the Navy SEALs Cap – Celebrate Our Heroes
Less than two weeks ago, a gas explosion at a Yarmouth, Maine, condominium complex killed one man
and leveled his home in a blast that officials said could be felt across town.
The most deadly natural gas explosion on record in the United States occurred on March 18, 1937, at a school in New London, Tex., killing 300 students and teachers.
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.