A New Jersey house fire is being blamed on a homeowner's battle against bedbugs, according to The Associated Press.
A county spokeswoman says the homeowner in the southern New Jersey town of Woodbury was using a space heater, a hair dryer and a heat gun Tuesday to try to eradicate the pests in a second-floor bedroom. The combination sparked a fire.
Editor's Note: Get the Navy SEALs Cap – Celebrate Our Heroes
The federal Environmental Protection Agency says very high, sustained heat can kill bedbugs, but raising the temperature with the thermostat or space heaters won't do the job. It says special equipment is needed.
Woodbury Fire Marshal Joseph Buono tells WPVI-TV in nearby Philadelphia that quick Internet remedies for killing bedbugs are a "catastrophe in the making." He says the afflicted should "call the professionals."
The homeowner was hospitalized with unspecified injuries. He wasn't identified.
Elderly Limo Fire: 10 Women, Some Older Than 90, Escape Blaze
Pigeon Forge Fire Burns Dozens of Cabins, 200-plus Tennessee Acres
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.