Ballet Star at Bolshoi, Nikolai Tsiskaridze, Won't Be Returning

Image: Ballet Star at Bolshoi, Nikolai Tsiskaridze, Won't Be Returning

Monday, 10 Jun 2013 09:55 AM

By Alexandra Ward

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Russia's Bolshoi Ballet announced Saturday it will not renew its contract with star veteran dancer Nikolai Tsiskaridze, who has been at odds with the theater ever since he spoke out publically about the January acid attack on the company's artistic director.

Tsiskaridze, 39, who has been with the Bolshoi since 1992 as a principal dancer and teacher, claims he was told his contract wouldn't be renewed when it expires at the end of June.

"He had a one-year, short-term contract, and this contract is over," Katerina Novikova, the Bolshoi's spokeswoman, said. "The Bolshoi's leadership decided not to renew it."

Urgent: Is Obama Telling the Truth on IRS, Benghazi Scandals?

In January, Bolshoi artistic director Sergei Filin was the victim of an acid attack that left him with severe burns on his face and eyes. At the time, theater director Anatoly Iksanov made comments that suggested Tsiskaridze may have had something to do with the attack. The ballet star fired back, arguing that the Bolshoi was conducting a witch-hunt against him.

Since then, their relationship has been rocky.

Earlier this year, the Bolshoi filed two reprimands against Tsiskaridze for giving unauthorized interviews after the attack.

Tsiskaridze has denied having anything to do with the attack and insists the Bolshoi has been trying to drive him out.

"I am not upset," he told the New York Times of his dismissal. "All this was thought up to make a mockery of me. I knew it would happen. Their opera, 'Prince Igor,' was a failure. And they needed to distract attention with another scandal."

Urgent Poll: Is the US Economy Healthy? Is it a Bubble About to Burst Again? Vote Now

Soloist Pavel Dmitrichenko, a Tsiskaridze protégé at the Bolshoi, and two alleged accomplices were charged over the acid attack and are in jail awaiting trial. They face up to 12 years in prison if convicted. The trial date has yet to be set.

Filin, who has been receiving medical treatment in Germany since the attack, has vowed to return to work as soon as possible.

Related stories:

Bolshoi Ballet Chief's Sight Recovering After Acid Attack

Renowned Bolshoi Ballerina Flees to Canada

Lead Dancer: I Didn't Want Acid Used in Bolshoi Attack

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

Jimmy Kimmel: Mean Tweets About Celebs Read Aloud by Said Celebs (Video)

Friday, 21 Nov 2014 18:57 PM

"Jimmy Kimmel Live" on Thursday brought back the popular, laugh-out-loud Mean Tweets, where celebrities read the cruel t . . .

Greer Grammer, Daughter of Kelsey, Chosen as Miss Golden Globe

Friday, 21 Nov 2014 18:09 PM

Greer Grammer, daughter of Kelsey Grammer and reality star Camille Grammer, will be the next Miss Golden Globe, the Holl . . .

'Glee' Final Season: January Begins Last Episodes of Beloved Fox Show

Friday, 21 Nov 2014 17:56 PM

Glee will launch its final season in January with a two-hour special on Jan. 9, and then will wrap up the season, and t . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved