Price Middle School Shooting: Atlanta Teen Released from Hospital

Friday, 01 Feb 2013 08:21 AM

By Megan Anderle

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
A 14-year old student who was shot in the back of the neck Thursday at Price Middle School in southeast Atlanta was treated and released from the hospital.

The male shooting victim, whose name will not be released because he is a juvenile, was treated and released from Grady Memorial Hospital Thursday night, after being “alert, conscious and breathing” in the afternoon, police told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

An unidentified Price student who was accused of shooting the victim was taken into custody.

Police said a disagreement between the two boys led one boy to shoot the other just before 2 p.m. outside of the school. Police did not know the nature of the dispute. A small caliber handgun was found at the scene.

Police said an armed school resource officer disarmed the suspect minutes after the shooting, though he happened to be off-duty at the time, the Associated Press reports.

A teacher who was near the shooting was injured “while running” to get away, Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The teacher was not injured by gunfire.

Price has metal detectors installed, but it was unclear whether the shooter went through them, because the shooting took place outside of the school.

The victim’s aunt, Keonia Clark, said her nephew was “doing OK.”

“His mother is being strong for him,” Clark told the Atlanta Journal-Consitution. “This is a terrible thing for something like this to happen.”

Lawmakers have been debating whether to tighten gun control laws in wake of the mass shootings Americans have seen over the past few years – from the Newtown, Conn. shooting last month to the Colo. theater shooting in July that left 12 dead.

Thursday afternoon was a nightmare for parents as they did not receive any information when the school was on lockdown for nearly two hours as a SWAT team investigated. Students were not released until 3:45 p.m., at which point a school official emerged and told parents that everyone was safe, dispelling a bevy of rumors that were swirling among scared residents.

At a news conference, Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis said the lockdown was security protocol.

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved