Tags: army | sex | case | drop | charges

Army Sex Case Moves Forward Despite Prosecutor's Plea to Drop Charges

Image: Army Sex Case Moves Forward Despite Prosecutor's Plea to Drop Charges Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair

Wednesday, 05 Mar 2014 09:55 AM

By Clyde Hughes

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
The lead prosecutor in the Army sex case against Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair broke down last month and urged top military officials to drop the most serious charges, but the trial will carry on anyway despite his pleas.

Opening statements are scheduled for Thursday.

Sinclair, the former deputy commander of the 82nd Airborne, has pleaded not guilty to eight sexual assault charges, including forcible sodomy and other indecent acts, according to The Associated Press. He is thought to be the most senior member of the U.S. military ever to face trial for sexual assault.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

Last month, prosecutor Lt. Col. William Helixon tearfully begged top military officials to drop the most serious charges against Sinclair because he believes the primary accuser in the case lied under oath, as the testimony relied solely on the woman's word that the general forced her to perform oral sex on him twice.

Helixon, who worked on the case for almost two years, was then removed as prosecutor after a superior officer took him to a military hospital for a mental health evaluation, according to hearing testimony Tuesday, the AP reported.

Defense attorney Richard L. Scheff said that Helixon left the case because he felt "ethically bound" after failing to convince his superiors to drop the charges against Sinclair, according to the Los Angeles Times. 

"Helixon repeatedly stated that the case against BG Sinclair should not be prosecuted, but that the Army was forcing the case to move forward," Scheff wrote in the case for dismissal. Helixon is now on Sinclair's witness list.

Lt. Col. Robert Stelle, Helixon's replacement, wrote in a document to the court that Scheff's characterization of Helixon's departure from the case was inaccurate.

"At no time did LTC Helixon state that the accused is not guilty of the charged offenses," Stelle wrote, continuing that Helixon "did not have legal, ethical issues with the case going forward."

Despite Helixon's breakdown and the different accounts of why he is no longer working on the case, a judge determined this week that the trial will carry on.

After the ruling, Scheff claimed that the Army intended to ruin Helixon's career to get his client.

"The government undertook a vicious character assault against someone they previously called their 'rock star' sex crimes prosecutor, because he was the only Army leader with the integrity to stand up to politics," Scheff told the AP.

Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll

Related Stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Send me more news as it happens.
 
 
Get me on The Wire
Send me more news as it happens.
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
You May Also Like

Passengers Push Plane on Icy Russian Runway (With Help of a Tractor)

Wednesday, 26 Nov 2014 20:45 PM

Passengers on a Russian plane got off to push the aircraft to help get it on the runway after it began slipping on ice i . . .

Bernie Tiede, Convicted Murderer Mortician, to Get New Sentencing

Wednesday, 26 Nov 2014 17:39 PM

Bernie Tiede, the mortician who was convicted of killing his companion Marjorie Nugent in 1996, will receive a new sente . . .

Chrysler Pentastar Logo Getting Phased Out With FCA Formation

Wednesday, 26 Nov 2014 15:51 PM

Chrysler's iconic Pentastar logo is being phased out as the company introduces a new logo in keeping with the newly form . . .

Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved