House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Doc Hastings is urging President Barack Obama to consider 10 ways to create new jobs in the nation’s energy sector.
“With unemployment still near 10 percent, it’s fair to ask the question — what will be different this time?” the Washington Republican said Thursday.
Hastings offered 10 bipartisan ideas to accomplish that goal:
- Set firm timelines for allowing people to get back to work in the Gulf of Mexico, now that the moratorium on drilling has been lifted.
- Resume canceled or delayed offshore drilling leases.
- Lift the ban on new offshore drilling.
- Increase production in the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska.
- Allow production in a small portion of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
- Remove impediments to developing U.S. oil-shale resources.
- Remove bureaucratic roadblocks to renewable-energy production on public lands.
- Streamline the process for developing wind projects.
- Eliminate redundant environmental regulations in geothermal projects.
- Continue to allow horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing in natural gas production.
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.