Yemen: Obama Must Follow Guantanamo Promise With Action

Monday, 03 Jun 2013 03:57 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia — Yemen gave a qualified welcome on Sunday to President Barack Obama's promise to lift a ban on repatriating Yemeni prisoners from Guantanamo Bay, saying he now had to back up his words with actions.

Foreign Minister Abubakr al-Qirbi said his government was building a "rehabilitation center" to house Yemenis who have been detained at the U.S. camp in Cuba for more than a decade.

Obama promised last month to end the ban on transferring Yemenis back home, one of the main obstacles to clearing out the detention camp, and altered the rules for U.S. drone strikes.

Qirbi said that Obama's announcement "brings hope to families of the detainees in Guantanamo and to the detainees themselves who for 12 years have been in prison and have lost hope of getting out of Guantanamo".

"Obama now has to really put his words into actions," he told reporters in the Saudi city of Jeddah. "We will take [up] with the authorities in Washington how we can start the process based, of course, on the conditions that may be set by the Americans."

Of the 86 detainees who have been cleared for transfer or release from Guantanamo, 56 are from Yemen where al-Qaida's regional wing is active. Most of them were captured more than a decade ago following the 2001 attacks on the United States.

Repatriation of Yemeni prisoners was halted in 2010 after a man trained by militants in Yemen attempted to blow up a U.S.-bound plane in 2009 with a bomb concealed in his underwear.

However, Obama laid out conditions on May 23 for removing the moratorium including the construction of a rehabilitation center for militants in Yemen.

Qirbi said the government was getting ready to take the detainees. "We are now in preparation of the rehabilitation center for the detainees," he said after a meeting with Gulf foreign and finance ministers.

In the same speech, Obama said drone strikes could be launched only when a threat was "continuing and imminent" and would primarily be directed by the Defense Department instead of the CIA.

Qirbi said drone strikes against suspected al-Qaida figures were unpopular in Yemen due to civilian casualties. "But they are at times a necessity. . . . I think the conditions he has set will make sure these drone attacks are used in a proper manner."

On Saturday, local officials in southern Yemen said seven suspected militants had been killed in two drone strikes that morning.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Deadline Lapses in Peru for Illegal Gold Miners

Sunday, 20 Apr 2014 11:19 AM

The clock has run out for an estimated 40,000 illegal gold miners who had until Saturday to legalize their status in a r . . .

Powerful Earthquake Rattles Mexico, Shakes Buildings

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 12:37 PM

A powerful earthquake struck Mexico on Friday, shaking buildings in the capital and sending people running out into the  . . .

Students Add Easter Twist to Dwindling Venezuela Protests

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 11:28 AM

Venezuelan students are marching barefoot, building crucifixes and planning to burn effigies of President Nicolas Maduro . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved