Former President Alvaro Uribe said he trusts his bodyguards and the Colombian military to protect him from any assassination attempt, Colombia Reports said
in an account published Wednesday.
On Tuesday, Colombian Defense Minister Juan Carlos Pinzon announced the military had set up a protection team for Uribe after learning of a possible plot to kill him by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), a communist rebel group currently in peace negotiations with the Colombian government headed by President Juan Manuel Santos.
Uribe said Tuesday that he was unaware of the specifics of the plot. The former president said he appreciated the work of the armed forces in protecting him, and thanked Santos and Pinzon for bringing that about.
“I don’t have details [on the plot] and I didn’t ask about them,” Uribe said. “I reiterate my thanks to the Ministry of the Defense and the President of the Republic. . . . I give thanks to the armed forces who protect me a lot, and to God for having protected me.”
Uribe said the talk of assassination would not change his plans to campaign with Oscar Ivan Zuluaga, the presidential candidate of his Uribe Centro Democratico Party.
Uribe, who is also running for the Colombian Senate next year, served as president of the country from 2002 to 2010 and achieved substantial military successes against the FARC. He has been sharply critical of Santos’ conduct of peace negotiations with the rebel group, which began last year in Havana.
The BBC reported
that the Colombian government and the FARC have reached agreement on two of the six issues being negotiated in the Cuban capital: political participation and land reform.
The other four subjects being negotiated involve disarmament, implementation of a peace accord, illicit narcotics and victim’s rights.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.