One day after bombing a police station, killing nine people, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) said Sunday that it would implement a 30-day cease-fire in its fight against government security forces, the BBC reported
The FARC said the cease-fire would take effect Dec. 15.
The rebel group made the announcement a day after detonating a car bomb near a police station in Inza in southwestern Colombia, killing a policeman, three civilians, and five soldiers, according to the BBC.
The FARC’s statement attacked the Colombian government for refusing to agree to a cease-fire with rebel forces.
“Soldiers and police are also unnecessarily spilling their blood, while the national opinion observes this strange cocktail of death and dialogue, which is how the national government perceives reconciliation," it said.
The Colombian government refuses to agree to a truce with the FARC until a final peace accord is reached and signed. Last year, the militants announced a cease-fire but resumed military operations several months later.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said the government will continue to take military action to prevent it from committing “acts like the one we have unfortunately witnessed,” referring to Saturday’s attack.
The following day, the Colombian government and the FARC resumed peace negotiations in Havana in an effort to end a war that has lasted close to half a century and killed upwards of 200,000.
President Barack Obama last week praised Santos for making "bold and brave efforts" to bring about peace through negotiations with the FARC, saying that this course of action “sends a signal to the people of Colombia that it is possible to unleash the enormous potential if we can move beyond this conflict."
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.