Brazil Partially Halts Work on World Cup Arena After Death

Monday, 16 Dec 2013 08:38 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

MANAUS, Brazil — A Brazilian labor court ordered a partial stop to construction on the Arena Amazonia in the jungle city of Manaus after the death of a worker who fell off the stadium's roof raised safety concerns ahead of the 2014 soccer World Cup.

Public prosecutors asked for work "in all areas involving altitude" to be stopped pending investigations to guarantee workers' safety. The worker, Marcleudo de Melo Ferreira, 22, died in a Manaus hospital on Saturday.

"Around noon on Sunday we were notified of the labor court's order for a partial stoppage of work," the coordinator for UGP Copa, the umbrella co-ordination organization for all World Cup projects in Manaus, said in a statement.

"The decision should be applied to activities in high areas, notably the services of mounting the roof and facade of the Arena Amazonia," the statement said.

The regional labor court did not answer phone calls requesting confirmation of the order, but local media said the decision had been made just before midnight on Saturday.

Andrade Gutierrez, the Brazilian firm building the stadium, was not immediately available for comment. The UGP statement said the company had immediately complied with the decision and was taking the appropriate measures to ensure the full resumption of work. Some construction would resume on Monday, the statement said.

Ferreira was the fifth construction worker to die in stadiums being built to host the World Cup in 12 cities. Later on Saturday, a construction worker in a nearby convention center that will host meetings during the World Cup, Jose Antonio da Silva Nascimento, was found dead. Family members blamed an intense work schedule for triggering a heart attack.

Fatal accidents had previously occurred in Manaus, Brasilia and most recently in Sao Paulo, where two people died on Nov. 27 after a crane collapsed in the arena that is to host the opening game on June 12.

Manaus is scheduled to host four World Cup games in June, including high-profile encounters involving teams from England, Italy, the United States, and Portugal. The stadium is supposed to be ready by Jan. 15.

Preparations for the competition — the first to be held in South America since 1978 — have been plagued by delays, accidents, cost overruns, and public anger over government waste that contributed to massive nationwide street protests last year.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Obama Plan Would Let Young Hondurans Enter US as Refugees

Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 23:24 PM

The Obama administration is considering a two-year, $47 million pilot program that would screen children and young adult . . .

Aruba Arrests Ex-Venezuelan Spy Chief

Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 16:38 PM

 . . .

Canadian Gets 10 Years for Plan to Join Terrorist Group

Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 15:52 PM

A Canadian court on Thursday imposed a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison on a man convicted of attempting to join a . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved